I probably just have a case of garden variety homesickness. I have all the clear cut and obvious symptoms- depression, loneliness, sadness and an overwhelming urge to cry and buy a plane ticket home every few minutes. And the list I swear I'm not building in my head about ways home is superior to the new life just keeps getting longer and longer.
I'm just going to cave in for a few minutes and list a few of the little things I miss about home.
1. Hearing the Netherlands Carillon Bell every hour when I lived in Arlington. I loved sleeping with my window open at night and hearing the bells toll and "Taps" play at 10 pm at Ft Myer. Something about it made me feel intrinsically a part of Washington, DC in a way I can't explain.
2. Walking to the Iwo Jima Memorial and sitting on the grass, just listening to a bell tower performance or the Marine Band play while looking over DC.
3. Anything and everything I could walk to in Arlington. I especially miss being able to walk to Court House or Clarendon for dinner and window shopping or a movie. I miss the almost-city life so much it hurts.
4. Just knowing where things are. Not having to question the directions every time I go somewhere.
5. Tysons Corner Mall and Georgetown. REAL shopping.
6. Driving up and down the GW Parkway. Especially when the leaves change in the fall.
7. Ambition and meeting people with amazing ambition. Hearing someone tell you about their huge plans for the future and believing that that person could possibly achieve it.
8. Seeing the monuments on my way to work every day.
9. Seeing the crew and row teams out on the Potomac every day.
10. Getting stuck in traffic as a motorcade goes by. And leaning out the window to see which flags are on the motorcade, or to count the number of Secret Service SUV's to figure out who the motorcade is for.
11. Diplomat tags. I used to have a guide pamphlet that would tell you how to figure out which country a diplomat was from and whether or not it was a family member, staff member, actual VIP, etc just from the license plate.
12. Local news shows that actually sounded educated.
13. Discussing current events and politics with people who got their information from first-hand sources and didn't get their news from the SL Tribune.
14. The FDR Monument at night.
The list could go on. I haven't even touched restaurants or actual people. That list may never end!!
Does anyone know a quick and easy remedy for homesickness? Is there a pill you can take? A call you can make? A comfort food perhaps? I'm willing to try almost anything at this point to make it go away. I've been trying to kill it off with Death by Chocolate, but it's not working.
Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...
Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.
Here goes nothing! The truth about my hair! The truth is I have very wavy, almost curly, thick, and hard to manage hair. I have to sp...
What does a 30 day FREE membership get you? 1,500 free ebooks 500 audiobooks All on your smartphone! Deseret Book ha...
The following was going to run on a different website. At the last minute it was determined that it was too raw and too edgy for that s...