Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Summer Reading, Summer Fun
My summer of free time has allowed me to do a great deal more reading than usual. And I LOVE it!
Here's a list of the books I'm carrying about with me these days-
1. We Talk of Christ, We Rejoice in Christ - Neal A Maxwell-
I normally love his books. (There are more in the pile.) This one (as always) has a great message and lesson to be learned. However, the very unusual format to the book is frustrating to me, and isn't that enjoyable to read. It is taking me forever to get through this otherwise easy to read book.
2. Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson
Did I mention yet that this would be a very eclectic reading list? "Little" and I are keeping our relationship alive and well by doing her summer reading together. I never read this one in school for some reason, so I'm reading it with her now. We both agree that the first 30 pages were brutal to get through and hard to understand. But I've finally hit a breaking point in it and am actually starting to really enjoy it. I need to check in with her (we love to Skype) and see where she's at in the book.
3. Book of Mormon Commentary I Nephi Wrote This Record - Monte Nyman
I haven't started it yet. It is 700 plus pages and is just sitting there, taunting me, every time I consider picking it up.
4. The Queen's Story- Marcus Kiggell and Denys Blakeway
What can I say, I'm just another American girl in love with the British Royal Family. A biography of Queen Elizabeth. (Haven't started it yet.)
5. Believing Christ- Stephen Robinson
6. State of Fear- Michael Crichton
7. The Eyre Affair- Jasper Fforde
8. Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy- Richard G Scott
9. Of One Heart- Neal Maxwell
10. Meek and Lowly- Neal Maxwell
11. Faith Precedes the Miracle- Spencer Kimball (Interesting sidenote- most of the religious books I am linking to are going for less than $3 used on Amazon. This book, however, is in such demand that even used paperbacks are going for $27!)
12. The Great Communicator- Dick Wirthlin
Most of these books were rescued from my dad's library on their way to storage for 3 years. And are merely just the books within arm's reach right now. I'll be reading them in no particular order, other than to finish Treasure Island for Little's sake. I'm also looking to get a copy of Monique and the Mango Rains that has now been suggested to me twice.
If I keep up with my 2-3 books a week schedule I should be done in about 4-5 weeks, (well, then add one full week just to get through I Nephi on its own) which should pretty much fill my summer. Wouldn't it be nice if I could schedule it just right to get a job as soon as I run out books? Sadly, the unemployment coverage runs out in 3 weeks, so let's hope I don't get to finish all of the books!
Recently, I've been picking up work as a background extra on various projects. In the past month or so I've worked on 3 different m...
Keep Reading! Popular Posts from this Blog.
Here goes nothing! The truth about my hair! The truth is I have very wavy, almost curly, thick, and hard to manage hair. I have to sp...
The following was going to run on a different website. At the last minute it was determined that it was too raw and too edgy for that s...
I just spent 3 days in Reno visiting my sister and her family. We had a lot of fun from skate parks to shopping to nudist colonies to dinosa...